- 1.5 kg diced beef
- 1/2 large leek, diced
- small stick celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 swede, diced small
- 1/2 cup french lentils
- 1/4 cup red lentils
- 1/4 cup amaranth, washed very well
- 1/2 cup whiskey
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1-2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Put everything except the salt into a large casserole dish cover with lid and place in the oven.
- After about half an hour (when everything is boiling away) turn down to 120°C and cook for another 1 1/2 hours until the meat is tender.
- Add salt to taste and serve with mash and steamed vegetables.
That’s it! So easy. You could mess around and seal the meat and saute the vegies first, but it really doesn’t need it and any leftovers can be used as a pie filling or just tipped over toast.
Recipe and photos by Failsafe Foodie